Our world generates huge amounts of data - numbers, words, measurements and observations - that describe whatâ€™s happening in our lives, our organizations and our society. Translating that data into useful information is the work of data science, one of the worldâ€™s fastest-growing professions.
|120 (16 for minor)
Why Study Data Science at Wilkes?
Data Science draws on expertise from multiple disciplines. At Wilkes, not only will you get a solid foundation of knowledge in the state-of-the-art practices, algorithms and visualizations that underlie the field, you'll also have the opportunity to partner with students and faculty from other departments to get first-hand experience solving problems in business, science, the humanities, or a field of your interest.
Additionally, you'll have access to resources capable of tackling even the most demanding computational problems. The ÐÓ°ÉÖ±²¥appAccelerated Research Learning and Outreach Cluster, WARLOC for short, offers outstanding computing power and data analysis capabilities at scale. You can be part of a team of students who conduct research with one of the most powerful academic supercomputing clusters in the region.
What Will You Learn as a Data Science Major?
- A blend of foundational computer science and data analytics courses provide a strong base of theoretical and practical knowledge you'll use every day.
- Advanced discipline-specific coursework such as machine learning and artificial intellignce builds on what you've learned, taking your data science expertise to the next level.
- In semester-long practicums, students build, deploy, monitor and operationalize end-to-end machine learning pipelines using real-world data to put theory and concepts into action.
- Pre-approved data-aware electives from other departments allow you to develop knowledge in a specific external domain. For example, if you're passionate about using your skills to support our planet, you can take an environmental science course in global climate change and modeling.
- A senior capstone brings it all together. You'll have the opportunity to leverage everything you've learned as you work on a project team under the direction of a faculty member solving actual problems.
Interested in this program?
Complete the following form and we'll send you more information!